Do you want to advise one of the fastest growing Canadian companies?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Corporate Counsel to join our Finance department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
The Finance & Operations team at Jobber is responsible for anything money related to better help plan, budget, and implement Jobber’s best ideas. They have a little bit of everything – finance, accounting, operations, and legal!
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance, our Corporate Counsel will be responsible for supporting all areas of Jobber’s operations and strategic priorities. The successful candidate will be a champion for Jobber and be a key pillar of support to manage risk and drive growth at scale. You will bring strong attention to detail and an innovative approach to the core responsibilities. This role will work collaboratively across all areas of the business and must be able to iterate and operate efficiently.
We’re looking for someone who inspires high trust, as you’ll be working closely with the Executive Team, the sales and marketing teams, and management generally to negotiate and draft various commercial agreements and to provide practical, business-oriented legal advice on a variety of matters.
What would be the impact of our Corporate Counsel?
- Providing comprehensive, accurate and practical advice regarding various legal issues including corporate/commercial, privacy, regulatory, employment and IP matters
- Negotiating contracts with customers, partners and vendors, including SaaS subscription agreements, referral and reseller partner agreements
- Providing counsel regarding the Employment Standards Act and other applicable legislation, including drafting of employment agreements and management of employee relations escalations
- Develop Legal Department records management systems
- Building strong governance systems
- Effectively manage external counsel and legal spend
- Work collaboratively with teams across Jobber, including Sales, Customer Success, Finance, People, Operations, Product and Marketing to deliver on strategic priorities
- Managing and resolving legal disputes
What You Bring to the Team:
- Qualified lawyer/solicitor licensed to practice law in Canada
- At least 5 years of practice in business law gained at a major Canadian law firm and in-house legal department of a technology company
- Experience working in SaaS or fintech organization a significant asset
- Knowledge of technology and commercial law, data protection and privacy law, intellectual property law and employment law
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named one of the best places to work in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!