Like the idea of supporting company-wide decisions?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Data Engineer to be part of our Business Technology team in our Business Operations (BizOps) Department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Business Technology is the engineering team within Business Operations, our internal consulting department – they’re the decision support mechanism that connects data, business insights and an internal tech stack (systems) with the rest of the organization. In essence, BizOps is a central function that exists to drive business outcomes in all corners of Jobber’s ecosystem.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Business Technology, the Data Engineer will work on our Business Technology team which develops internal software, integrations and data infrastructure. Our work unlocks improved operational outcomes, workflow efficiencies and new business insights across our organization. We help teams leverage data, tools and technology in order to successfully execute on their own mandates. We research, develop and maintain systems which support other internal teams from an operational and analytical perspective.
We’re looking for people who are ready for their next challenge, and want to use their experience to influence people, processes and decisions.
The Data Engineer will
- Build the foundation of our growth. Design, build and maintain batch and real time data pipelines in cloud infrastructure (preferably AWS). Build scripts, tools, serverless applications and workflows.
- Set up our internal teams for success. Internal process improvements such as automating manual processes, building alerting/monitoring tools. Collaborate closely with other teams to build tools, frameworks, reports to run experiments, analyze A/B test results, enable insights.
- Be a business accelerator. Work with analysts, data scientists and product teams to extract actionable insights from data that shape the direction of the company.
- Participate in strategic planning. Lead initiatives to research, analyze and propose new technologies and tooling for our data engineering stack. Participate in design and code reviews – learn from your peers and teach your peers. Solve problems with technology and make decisions backed by data.
To be successful, you should have:
- 3+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or a similar role
- Experience in developing and maintaining data pipelines for ETL/ELT processes
- Experience with data collection and ingestion from external sources, and optimizing data flow between different systems and environments
- Experience in analytics data modelling and data warehousing in the cloud (preferably AWS Redshift)
- Proficient in SQL including query performance debugging and tuning skills.
- Familiar with BI tools
- Experience in developing and operating high-volume, high-available and scalable environments
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with both non-technical and technical team members.
It would be really great (but not a deal-breaker) if you had:
- Experience working in Agile Scrum environment
- Using templated SQL in your ETL pipeline (eg. DBT)
- Experience with Integrations, APIs and working within their limitations.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named one of the best places to work in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!