Are you as passionate about the development of people as you are about product?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Data Scientist to be part of our Product Engineering department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
Our Product Engineering team is central to Jobber’s success – focused on creating software that delivers value to hundreds of thousands of users around the world. The ML function specifically is focused on using our data and ML technology to help our users get even more value out of the product.
Reporting to the Manager, Product Engineering (Machine Learning), the Data Scientist will collaborate with other Product Development members on a scrum team to build amazing AI signals, and collaborate with other scrum teams to incorporate them into the software with great impact. We’re looking for people who are ready to solve problems that millions of entrepreneurs are facing, using their experience to influence both a product and our team, all the while still working on developing their own craft.
You'll be a champion of best practices for machine learning, great AI models and data pipelines. In addition, you customize and extend tools and processes to increase the effectiveness of your team, and mentor others to do the same.
The Data Scientist will
- Help AI product managers and business stakeholders understand the potential and limitations of AI when planning new products
- Identify transfer learning opportunities and new training datasets
- Leverage Data Engineering techniques to gather, prepare, cleanse, and transform data for analysis and AI automation, including automating data pipelines
- Build AI models, train, validate and deploy into production
- Leverage various structured and unstructured data sources, analytics, AI tools, and programming languages to derive meaningful data insights (e.g., Python, R, Spark, TensorFlow, Jupyter, etc.
- Help define APIs and help business customers put results of your AI models into operations
- Establish model monitoring metrics and performance reporting format as appropriate to the use-case
- Keep current of the latest AI research relevant to our business domain
To be successful, you should have:
- 3+ years of experience as a Data Scientist or similar role
- Familiarity with using data pipelines for ETL/ELT processes
- Hands-on experiences using ML or DL models end to end
- Solid experience with a programming language, such as Python or R coupled with SQL
- Experience in developing and operating high-volume, high-available and scalable environments
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with both non-technical and technical team members
It would be really great (but not a deal-breaker) if you had:
- Worked in Agile Scrum environment
- Worked on NLP
- Analysed and consumed third party APIs with experience in clustered data processing (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Map-reduce, and Hive)
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named one of the best places to work in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver over $6-billion a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!