Do you want to develop more than just a product?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Database Engineer to be part of our Product Engineering team.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
Our Product Engineering team is central to the success of Jobber – focused on creating software that delivers value to tens of thousands of users around the world.
At Jobber we never stop growing and learning, and you shouldn’t either. Through continuous 1:1’s, dedicated feedback and support from your manager and our Learning and Development team, and your own sense of curiosity, we hope you develop to another level with your skill set.
Reporting to a Senior Manager, Product Engineering, the Database Engineer will work, along with the operations team and the rest of the engineering organization, to build and maintain an industry leading product that helps our customers and their small businesses be successful. We’re looking for someone who is ready to solve problems that millions of entrepreneurs are facing, using their experience to drive solutions and help ensure our infrastructure remains available and responsive to our customers.
Your work will include ensuring the stability and scalability of our Postgres database identifying and fixing issues such as cache optimization, query optimization, indexes, IOPS, etc. You will also ensure we have appropriate monitoring in place to understand how the DB is performing and be able to proactively react to upcoming issues as well as reactively understand what triggered an issue. Additionally, the Database Engineer will collaborate with the development teams on things like schema design and query optimization (Mostly through Rails ActiveRecord). Finally cost analysis and optimization of the database in the AWS cloud will be part of your duties.
To be successful, you must have:
- 3-5 years administering databases
- A deep understanding of Postgres
- Significant experience with cloud based databases
- Familiar with some “glue” languages (eg. Bash, Python, Ruby)
To be successful, you should have:
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code
- Familiarity with AWS Concepts, especially around RDS (Aurora a bonus)
- Understanding of a variety of caching technologies like Redis and Memcache
It would be really great (but not a deal-breaker) if you had:
- 2-3 years development experience
- Experience with Rails ActiveRecord
- Experience with Terraform
- Experience with MongoDB
- Experience with ElasticSearch
- Experience with AWS Redshift
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named #8 on the Top 10 Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver over $6-billion a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!