Are you driven to bring people, technology, and strategy together to build impactful software?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Director, Software Engineering to be part of our Fintech group within our Software Engineering department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
At Jobber, we don’t just build a product – we work on real problems that help people in small businesses to become successful. We are inspired by our company values: be humble, be supportive and give a sh*t, which are not just said but are lived. We work in a collaborative environment where teams make decisions with autonomy and contribute directly to shaping the company’s future. We release early and often while dedicating time to address technical debt. We believe in getting instant feedback from our customers and leveraging that to make their lives easier.
We help employees grow professionally; we have a ton of onboarding resources, tutorials, hackathons and buddies to support learnings and provide opportunities to innovate. We have a range of experience levels on teams which allow for mentor/mentee opportunities. Leaders at Jobber work with empathy and support employees to build a healthy work-life harmony. Bring your dedication and passion to this job to fulfill your goals.
Reporting to our VP, Software Engineering, the Director, Software Engineering you will be a critical part of Jobber’s success. As a seasoned engineering leader, you will be accountable for the development of high-quality software that meets our customers' needs. With your extensive experience in people management, agile software development, and business strategy, you’ll provide strategic direction and technical leadership for the Fintech Software Engineering team.
Fintech is one of the fastest-growing parts of Jobber, and a core strategic priority for us as a company. We're investing in this growing area because we believe embedding financial tools within our product deepens our ability to help small businesses be successful. Whether it’s helping small businesses get paid, offering financing to their customers, or accessing capital to invest in growth – we believe small business owners should have seamless access to financial tools that allow them to thrive.
As Director of Engineering, you will:
- Contribute to, and execute on, a long-term product strategy that aligns with Jobber’s business goals
- Manage a team of Software Development Managers, supporting them in leading the growth and continuous improvement of a team of 40+ Software Engineers
- Maintain the products’ quality, stability, and performance – and the team’s agility and impact as the team doubles and doubles again
- Nurture engineering excellence through software development best practices and continuous improvement
- Be a member of the Leadership Team, and contribute to strategic goals.
To be successful, you should have:
- Experience as an organizational leader – director level or higher.
- Experience managing a group of people managers.
- Experience running agile organizations at scale, with a sense of urgency to deliver high-quality solutions to customer problems.
- Experience developing and executing a strategy that balances feature development, infrastructure improvement, and ongoing software maintenance.
- Experience in the financial services / fintech space, bonus points for card payments experience.
- Experience balancing customer and business needs, while managing a multi-million dollar budget.
- Experience building diverse, high-performing teams.
What you can expect from your team:
Our Software Engineering team is central to Jobber’s success – focused on creating software that delivers value to tens of thousands of users around the world.
At Jobber we never stop growing and learning, and you shouldn’t either. Through frequent 1:1’s, ongoing feedback, support from your manager, our Learning and Development team, and your own sense of curiosity, your skills will develop to a higher level.
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, parental leave top-ups to support your growing family, and a snack box to help support those coffee breaks.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!