Can you bring clear and creative solutions to complex design problems?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Junior Product Designer to be part of our Product Design department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
Our Product Design team turns sketchbook ideas into an impactful user experience. By balancing UI, UX, research, and content design, we shape all parts of the users experience.
Part of the larger Product Development Team, we work closely with Product Managers and Engineers to achieve goals for our business and our users. Product Design at Jobber is decentralized, meaning you’ll work in tandem with a set group of Engineers and Product Manager while supported by a senior product designer on our Fintech offering. Living and breathing a specific problem space, gaining expertise and growing with the support of your peers.
Our Product Development Team is central to the success of Jobber—focused on creating software that delivers value to tens of thousands of people around the world. As a Junior Product Designer within the Fintech team you’ll take (and uncover) user and business problems and turn them into polished interfaces and amazing experiences. You’ll report to a Design Manager who will focus on challenging you and helping you become a better designer.
Fintech is the newest and fastest-growing part of Jobber, and a core strategic priority for us as a company. ‘Embedded Fintech’ has been heralded as the next wave of Fintech (e.g. see here and here). However, we’re investing simply because we believe embedding financial tools in our product deepens our ability to help small businesses be successful. Fintech at Jobber began with the launch of Jobber Payments, and most recently business financing, and will evolve quickly as additional financial tools are launched.
The Junior Product Designer will…
- Contribute to solving complex usability issues facing small businesses – specifically when it comes to getting paid, cash flow, and managing the financial side of their businesses.
- Be part of the Fintech team, striving to deliver creative solutions across our product ecosystem.
- Learn, practice, and develop their craft with the support of other designers or leaders in the company.
- Develop understanding of the problem space and spend time learning about our customer’s journey and experience.
- Focus on team goals and outcomes to deliver a consistent, thoughtful and thorough user experience with all of the work released.
- Strive to understand your users through qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Build relationships with peers across disciplines. Learning how different disciplines work together to build products.
- Understand the vision and UX strategy within the Fintech space in close partnership with their Product Owner.
In order to be successful, you will need…
- Understand the tools needed for your craft (we use Figma, Miro, pencil and paper and a few others) and know when to use which tool.
- To comprehend difference between a good and bad user experience and influence positive change to the latter.
- To dig into customer pains and come out the other end with beautiful solutions and engaging experiences.
- To learn the constraints and opportunities of designing for the web and mobile and are comfortable collaborating on solutions with engineers.
- To have interest in financial technology products – particularly card payments, fraud and risk management, lending, accounting or banking.
- To build relationships and communicate the work you do. Design is all about communication; communication skills, including written, verbal, and visual are a must.
- To be curious. You won’t always have success in what you make, so seeing the positive side of failure will drive you forward.
- 1 year of experience (including internships) as a designer is encouraged however this role is entry level and open to anyone getting started in their product design career.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named one of the best places to work in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!