Are you as passionate about the development of people as you are about applying ML to address real challenges for real businesses?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Manager, Product Engineering (Machine Learning) to work with our Machine Learning (ML) function in the Product Engineering department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
Our Product Engineering team is central to Jobber’s success – focused on creating software that delivers value to hundreds of thousands of users around the world. The ML function specifically is focused on using our data and ML technology to help our users get even more value out of the product.
Reporting to a Senior Manager, Product Engineering, the Manager, Product Engineering (Machine Learning) will work with members of their team to support and develop their skills and career, as we work together to empower small businesses. You’ll manage a scrum team focused on introducing and applying ML to our product.
The Manager, Product Engineering (Machine Learning) will:
- Live and breathe performance facilitation. You want to work with your team(s) to help them master their individual crafts, while also collaborating to build extraordinary infrastructure and systems.
- Be committed to the success of your people. You will help them set goals, have regular 1-on-1s, and provide constructive feedback and coaching to ensure your team's success. You’ll work to understand employees’ career direction and work to empower their journey by acting as a mentor and coach.
- Develop a world-class team alongside a world-class product. You’ll participate in recruiting events and the hiring process while also working to level up your internal team, while implementing new processes, all to develop a world-class Product Engineering department. You’ll build a plan for the roles and skills needed specifically for our ML journey.
- Remove roadblocks and build guardrails. You’ll work with the other leaders to create and maintain an environment where people can rapidly produce top-quality work that ultimately helps our customers be successful.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the business. Whether it’s our Design and Product Management teams within Product, Business Analytics and Data teams, you’re working closely with other Jobberinos to find the best solutions in Jobber for small businesses.
- Build relationships and leverage programs in the ML community. You’ll identify, explore, and nurture industry relationships from consultants, funding, and resourcing programs.
- Bridge technical and customer-facing outcomes. You’ll help ensure the needs of the ML technical path is moving forward along with customer value, on the roadmap.
To be successful, you should have:
- 5+ years as a Software Engineer, with 2+ years of that in a lead/leadership position with a track record of success in guiding a team in the delivery of quality software.
- Experience or a demonstrated interest in Machine Learning with a passion for leveraging data and the power of machine learning to help solve real-word problems.
- Previous experience leading change, and delivering on company vision.
- The ability to be agile in an agile environment. You’ll need to be able to lead and teach your team to adapt to change, and support the early and continuous delivery of value by promoting an iterative and outcome-focused approach to problem solving
- Effective communication. Being transparent with your team and establishing an open dialogue will be a key to success in supporting your coaching conversations and discussions.
- The ability to identify needed roles and make a plan to build out the team in the future. Understand the ML roadmap and the skillsets needed on our journey.
- To be a leader and mentor. You’ll bring your shared experience into conversations to influence and provide constructive feedback to direct reports throughout the journey to ensure goals are being met and exceeded
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named #8 on the Top 10 Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver over $6-billion a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!