Do you have a spidey sense when it comes to fraud and risk?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Manager, Risk Operations to be part of our Fintech department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
Fintech is one of the fastest-growing parts of Jobber, and a core strategic priority for us as a company. We're investing in this growing area because we believe embedding financial tools within our product deepens our ability to help small businesses be successful. Whether it’s helping small businesses get paid, offering financing to their customers, or accessing capital to invest in growth – we believe small business owners should have seamless access to financial tools that allow them to thrive.
Our Risk team – a key group within the broader Fintech team – is central to Jobber’s success, focused on keeping both our Jobber Payments customers and Jobber safe.
The Manager, Risk Operations will be a key part of the Risk team, supporting, leading and coaching a team that is devoted to detecting fraud and credit risk and ensuring that Jobber and its customers are protected from losses. This position will work to empower a team with rapidly increasing importance and directly impact process development as we continue to scale. We’re looking for someone who understands how to balance customer, company and team needs in a high performance environment. This is a new position for the company in an area that is undergoing significant growth and as such, prior experience in similar roles and a strong growth orientation would go a long way. You will lead by example, by becoming an expert in risk processes and creating an environment that thrives on feedback and continuous improvement.
The Manager, Risk Operations will:
- Manage an initial team of 6+ individuals and optimize results through effective performance management planning. This includes (but not limited to) 1:1’s, real-time coaching, documented career plans and any other creative programs you think will be impactful. In order to be successful, our employees need to clearly understand how to get there.
- Collaborate with other leaders and departments at Jobber (Success, Product, BizOps) to ensure that the team has the right understanding, tools and technology to meet current and future needs.
- Drive and encourage feedback loops to help amplify Risk team capability to detect, investigate, prevent and manage loss incidents. Own escalations and collaborate with Strategy on complex cases.
- Be incredibly reliable by utilizing strong communication skills to communicate with multiple stakeholders when things might not be going how they expected.
- Be agile and adaptable in a very fast-paced environment. We’re growing fast and things are changing every day – what worked yesterday might not anymore. You need to be invigorated by this type of environment, and be excited by a new challenge.
- Strive for execution excellence through the optimization of our platforms and tools.
- Analyze, communicate, re-communicate (and maybe even obsess a bit) over risk metrics and forecasting to coach, scale, and provide quality output from every team member.
- Recruit, onboard and optimize training to reduce ramp-up time for new hires while ensuring they are set up for success.
- Unafraid to get your hands dirty in times when workflow spikes or your team needs your support.
- Become an ambassador of our culture by being humble, supportive – and someone who truly gives a shit!
To be successful, you should have:
- Previous experience managing and enabling Risk teams within payments, cards or lending domains. Experience within payment risk for a SaaS provider is a real plus.
- An analytical and inquisitive mindset. We’re looking for someone who can guide reviews and help the team find trends in transactions and usage for signs of fraud or abnormalities, and interpret them. Skills in extracting and analyzing data using SQL would go a long way but is not a core requirement.
- A problem solver mindset. In this role you’ll be working with people to find solutions to manage risk. You’ll need to be able to understand problems and contribute to solutions on how to solve them in a way that works for both the customer and Jobber.
- Clear communication skills. You’ll be dealing with multiple stakeholders in the company as well as with customers, so being able to translate your ideas and findings clearly will be important. You should also be willing to engage and resolve conflict – talking about fraud and loss of money can be an uncomfortable experience, so you should be okay with engaging in those types of conversations.
- The ability to embrace ambiguity. We don’t know what we don’t know, so you should be comfortable coming in and improving the process.
- The ability to work autonomously. We’re currently working remotely, so while you’ll be a member of a team and there are connection points, you’ll be on your own for a majority of the day. You’ll need to be a self-starter, with the ability to make decisions and find direction and guidance.
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, parental leave top-ups to support your growing family, and a snack box to help support those coffee breaks.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!