Do you want to join a top tier team?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Payroll Specialist to be part of our Finance department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
The Finance team at Jobber is responsible for anything money related to better help plan, budget, and implement Jobber’s best ideas.
Reporting to our Controller, the Payroll Specialist is a new position for Jobber. Working within our Accounting team, you’ll own the execution of our payroll and the various areas around that. While the day to day of the role should be second nature to you and you can hit the ground running, you’re excited about recommending improvements. We’re looking to grow and scale as a business, so our payroll function should have the ability to do that as well – and you’ll be the person defining what that looks like.
The Payroll Specialist will:
- Process payroll on a bimonthly basis. As we continue to grow, you’ll make sure all employees are accurately entered into Rise, our payroll system, and update for potential changes in salaries or statutory tax implications as we move to a hybrid working environment.
- Make sure our records are timely and accurate. You’ll be responsible for issuing T4s, updating records of employment, changes in RRSP deductions, or any various information.
- Be responsible for our ESOP program. You’ll work towards owning the program but will start by working with your team to send information to new employees around how it works, building out your knowledge around how it works and the system we use for it (Shareworks), and gradually taking over the responsibility of it.
- Research and find new opportunities. Whether it’s researching the rules around taxable benefits associated with working from home or making recommendations for new software we should be using, you’ll stay on top of new information and changes that could benefit your team.
To be successful, you should have:
- 3+ years of experience in issuing and administration in Canadian payroll. Bonus points if you have experience with US payroll and/or a payroll designation, but not a deal-breaker.
- Eyes for the details. Dealing with people’s pay is important, so your attention to detail when dealing with the dollars and cents is crucial.
- A high level of trustworthiness. You’re dealing with sensitive information day in and day out, so having a high degree of ethics is needed.
- The ability to collaborate and communicate. You’ll be working with members of our Accounting, Finance, and People teams on a regular basis, so you’re open to learning, communicating, and providing feedback on workflows to make sure we’re running smoothly. You’ll also be the most company facing role of the Accounting team, so the ability to communicate with ease the payroll process to employees should give you a level of excitement.
- A comfort with technology. Not only do we use multiple different systems here (Rise, Shareworks, etc), while working on Macbooks, we’re also looking at implementing new technology on the team, so being able to learn new systems quickly will be a big part of the role.
- An incredible passion for our customer and a connection to our purpose – to help small businesses be more successful.
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named #8 on the Top 10 Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver over $6-billion a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!