Like the idea of supporting company-wide decisions?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Data Engineer to be part of our Product Engineering department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
Our Product Engineering team is central to Jobber’s success – focused on creating software that delivers value to hundreds of thousands of users around the world. The ML function specifically is focused on using our data and ML technology to help our users get even more value out of the product.
Reporting to the Manager, Product Engineering (Machine Learning), the Data Engineer will collaborate with other Product Development members on a scrum team to build amazing AI signals, and collaborate with other scrum teams to incorporate them into the software with great impact. We’re looking for people who are ready to solve problems that millions of entrepreneurs are facing, using their experience to influence both a product and our team, all the while still working on developing their own craft.
It’s important that you’re a champion of best practices for machine learning, great AI models and data pipelines. In addition, you customize and extend tools and processes to increase the effectiveness of your team, and mentor others to do the same.
The Data Engineer will
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies
- Assemble large, complex data sets ready for analysis
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery
- Work with the scrum team and stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Create tools for data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product
To be successful, you should have:
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or similar roles
- 5+ years of SQL experience
- Experience in building and maintaining data pipelines for ETL/ELT processes
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets
- Solid understanding and working experience with NoSQL
- Experience with big data tools such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka
- Experience with AWS cloud services such as EMR, RDS, Redshift
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with both non-technical and technical team members
It would be really great (but not a deal-breaker) if you had:
- Backend development experience, especially dealing with message queues and stream processing
- Experience with data warehouse
Please note: All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named one of the best places to work in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!