Are you as passionate about the development of people as your are about product?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Senior Manager, Product Engineering to be part of our Product Engineering department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
Our Product Engineering team is central to Jobber’s success – focused on creating software that delivers value to hundreds of thousands of users around the world. In this role, you’ll be a core leader within our Fintech business and on the Product Engineering team, and manage the scrum teams who own our Fintech product. You’ll balance looking at the big priorities and objectives of the business and adapting to change, while not being afraid to roll up your sleeves and work on problems with them.
Fintech is the newest and fastest-growing part of Jobber, and a core strategic priority for us as a company. ‘Embedded Fintech’ has been heralded as the next wave of Fintech (e.g. see here and here). However, we’re investing simply because we believe embedding financial tools in our product deepens our ability to help small businesses be successful. Fintech at Jobber began with the launch of Jobber Payments, and most recently business financing, and will evolve quickly as additional financial tools are launched.
Reporting to our Director, Product Engineering, and working closely with the Director, Fintech, the Senior Manager, Product Engineering will work with members of our talented Product Engineering team to support and develop their skills and career, as we work together to empower small businesses. You’ll bring your previous experience in developing high-performance engineering teams and contributing to department and company wide strategic initiatives.
The Senior Manager, Product Engineering will:
- Live and breathe performance facilitation. You want to work with your team(s) to help them master their individual crafts, while also collaborating to build extraordinary infrastructure and systems.
- Be committed to the success of your people. You will help them set goals, have regular 1-on-1s, and provide constructive feedback and coaching to ensure your team's success. You’ll work to understand employees’ career direction and work to empower their journey by acting as a mentor and coach.
- Develop a world-class team alongside a world-class product. You’ll participate in recruiting events and the hiring process while also working to level up your internal team, while implementing new processes, all to develop a world-class Product Engineering department.
- Remove roadblocks and build guardrails. You’ll work with the other leaders to create and maintain an environment where people can rapidly produce top-quality work that ultimately helps our customers be successful.
- Collaborate with other stakeholders across the business. Whether it’s our Design and Management teams within Product, or our Business Technology and Growth teams, you’re working closely with other Jobberinos to find the best solutions in Jobber for small businesses.
To be successful, you should have:
- 5+ years as a Software Engineer, and 4+ years of management experience with a track record of success in developing high-performing engineers.
- Previous experience leading change, establishing effective engineering teams, and delivering on company vision.
- The ability to be agile in an agile environment. You’ll need to be able to lead and teach your team to adapt to change, while also thinking critically and creatively to find answers to problems.
- Effective communication. Being transparent with your team and establishing an open dialogue will be a key to success in supporting your coaching conversations and discussions.
- Collaboration down to an art. You’ll work with your direct reports or other teams to understand what they want to accomplish and develop a plan to achieve it.
- To be a leader and mentor. You’ll bring your shared experience into conversations to influence and provide constructive feedback to direct reports throughout the journey to ensure goals are being met and exceeded
It would be really great if you had:
- Experience developing successful financial technology products – particularly card payments, fraud and risk management, lending, accounting or banking.
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named #8 on the Top 10 Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver over $6-billion a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!