If you see a problem, do you have the need to solve it?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Technical Product Manager to be part of our Product department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
The Product Management team drives product strategy to ensure we are delivering the right things at the right time to our users. Working closely with cross-department teams, we research, explore, validate, ship, and measure problems and opportunities that drive user value and company impact.
The Systems teams include Mobile, Web, and Cloud Platform. They focus on building tools and development platforms to enable other engineering teams to deliver software faster. They provide reusable components, establish patterns, and build tools and automation to support. They lead migrations in their area, to reduce the surface area of technology and to incorporate new capabilities.
As a Technical Product Manager at Jobber you will bring a product management mindset to the work of the three Systems teams. You will define the collaboration model between Product Development and Systems teams at Jobber through understanding workflow and adoption challenges. You will work closely with stakeholders to set the strategy for how Jobber development runs efficiently, effectively, and scales. Taking a data informed approach, you will define success criteria then work with the Systems teams to execute and measure success.
As the first Technical Product Manager at Jobber, you will also help build the TPM function as we grow. You will be a motivator for your teams, and keep them engaged and excited about finding and developing solutions to empower mobile small businesses.
The Technical Product Manager will:
- Take on the full responsibilities of a Scrum Team Product Owner. This includes executing the product management workflow, backlog management (writing and prioritizing Epics and Stories), Scrum events (Sprint Planning, Sprints, Scrums, Sprint Reviews, Retrospectives), estimation and testing across our three Systems teams.
- Understand the user experience through qualitative and quantitative research. In order to understand the customers, you’ll have to take large amounts of data points, research, and feedback and distill it down to what is truly important. This includes internal customers (Jobber Product Development Teams) as well as Jobber’s end users.
- Be responsible for product vision and strategy. You will own the creative process of generating, developing, and curating new ideas. By understanding the connections between people’s day-to-day work, the overall product vision, and customers’ needs, you can prioritize building what matters to achieve the products’ strategic goals and initiatives.
- Deliver features and frameworks that make an impact on Product Development. You’ll work collaboratively across Product Development to prioritize work by ranking it against strategic goals and initiatives. You will guide the Systems team to set the foundation and build the right frameworks ahead of Product Development team needs.
- Build a plan, implement, and then measure success. You’ll be responsible for a timeline for implementation of new ideas, and then defining the release process and coordinating all activities to release. You will help determine what success looks like for the solutions you help build, measuring that success, and keeping stakeholders informed of that progress so that your team can make iterative decisions based on results.
To be successful, you should have:
- 3+ years of previous, product manager, product owner, project management, or other related experience.
- Previous experience with infrastructure, mobile, web front-end, APIs.
- Previous experience working in a scrum/agile environment.
- Next level communication skills. Your written and verbal communication skills help articulate the voice of the customer and the needs of the business.
- A data mindset. You look to data to define a problem and you also look to data to demonstrate success. You are energized by the ability to contextualize your work through various tools, systems and processes.
- A desire to collaborate. To deliver high-quality features as quickly as possible, you’ll need to partner with many different people and departments.
- An ability to motivate. You listen before speaking and understand before providing solutions. You focus on the relationship and build trust easily.
- Execution excellence. Creating insights is one thing – leading and driving execution is another. You are motivated by getting things across the finish line and have a solid track record of managing projects and multiple priorities at any given time.
- A knack for the details, with an understanding of the big picture. In your role, the details matter, and help drive your team forward with a sense of direction and clarity.
- A passion for technology. You are naturally curious about technology and tend to be an early adopter for most things. You appreciate how technology can solve many business problems and are driven to make a lasting impact for our customers.
- Ownership. You are driven to do the right things for your work. You are accountable to both your successes and your shortcomings.
- Empathy. You are naturally empathetic. This means you’ll have the ability to understand our customers – what motivates them, frustrates them, drives them and makes them happy.
- Bonus: Background as an engineer or experience working as an internal PM with engineers.
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually – via phone or video.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named #8 on the Top 10 Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Learning and Development function, including Development Coach, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for your breaks: from three weeks vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player…yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver over $6-billion a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!