Free Handyman Work Order Template
Finding it tough to keep all your job details on hand for repair or maintenance work? Get organized with a free handyman work order template that you can fill out with your business name, customer details, job information, and more. Then download a professional-looking handyman work order as a printable PDF to send to customers.
Create an accurate handyman work order with our free template
Save your custom Work Order template
Looking for an industry-specific work order?
A work order (also called a job order, service ticket, or work request) is a written record describing a job that has been estimated and approved, but hasn’t started yet.
A general contractor can use a work order if they need a handyman to get carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, or other handyman jobs done. Or, a handyman can use work orders to keep track of details for their own jobs.
No matter how it’s used, a work order describes what work you’ll complete, how much it’ll cost, and what materials you’ll need. It also includes contact information for you and your customer, and you’ll both receive a copy of the work order for their records.
Our blank, editable handyman work order template makes it easy to customize and send professional-looking work orders for future jobs. It’s a great way to start any project, whether you’re just starting a handyman business or you’ve been doing it for years.
Your handyman work order should include:
• Job number, start date, and end date
• Your handyman business name, address, and contact information
• The customer’s name and contact details
• Services/products requested, including item description, quantity, and hourly labor cost
• Estimated total amount, factoring in subtotal, discounts, and taxes
• Any notes about the requested work (e.g., required tools or materials, maintenance instructions, payment terms)
• Space for the customer’s signature and today’s date
Make sure the words “work order” are visible in big letters. Your work order might look like an estimate or invoice, so it should be clear what this document is for. If you use a standard handyman work order generator like this one, your work order will automatically include all the details you need.
Here’s a handyman work order sample to show you what yours should look like:
Here’s how to build a handyman work order, how to use it during a job, and what comes next:
1. Determine if this is a planned job (like light fixture installation) or an unplanned service call (like an emergency roof repair). This can affect your job start date and might delay other scheduled work.
2. Create a work order using this free template. Add in all your handyman services and job details, then send the finished work order to your customer.
3. Add the work to your calendar using job scheduling software. This way, you’ll also be able to easily adjust your schedule as needed to accommodate unplanned jobs.
4. When the job is finished, mark the work order as completed and send your handyman invoice to your customer.
You can use a work order as a binding handyman contract if your customer signs it. A signature is proof that the customer has approved your estimate (if you created one using our handyman estimate template) and that they’re ready for you to start the job. A signed work order means that you agree to complete the services listed in the work order.
(Need more details? Find out if quotes are legally binding.)
Some handymen use work orders as invoices for their customers. However, work orders and invoices are two different documents:ice for customers. However, work orders and invoices are two different things:
• A work order describes handywork that has been ordered and still needs to be completed
• An invoice requests payment for work that has already been completed
You can use a handyman work order to invoice your customer as long as it has the right information. Every invoice should include a detailed service list, the date of service, total amount due, payment terms, and other important details. To keep all these details on record, you can simply use our free handyman invoice template.
Jobber’s job management software makes it easy for handymen to receive work requests and quickly meet customers’ needs. No more managing jobs with MS Word, Excel, or Google Docs—just create a job, add it to your calendar, and access every job detail with the click of a button.
Here’s what you can do with handyman service software like Jobber:
• Easily schedule jobs and reschedule as needed on a drag-and-drop calendar
• Capture important job site details with job forms and checklists
• Accept online bookings from new and existing customers through your website
• Save time on admin work, both from home and on the job site
• Create professional handyman work orders, estimates, and invoices with your logo and branding
• Convert job details into customer-friendly invoices
• Communicate with customers using email and SMS
• Automatically follow up with customers on overdue payments
• Get custom automated reports on your jobs, clients, and business finances
Learn more about how Jobber can help you manage your handyman jobs.