SEO for Plumbers: 7 Easy Tips to Help Customers Find You Online
When a potential customer needs a plumbing service, they’re likely going to search Google or Bing and contact one of the first few options they see. If your plumbing business isn’t one of them, you may be missing out on a lot of work.
The way to get your business listed at the top of Google’s search results page is through SEO (or search engine optimization).
In this article, we’ll break down what you need to know about SEO into easy to follow steps you can start doing yourself. And if you want to go even further and hire an SEO professional, we’ve provided a list of SEO companies who specialize in the plumbing industry.
Claim your free Google Business Profile
Google Business Profile (formerly Google My Business) is a free online business listing that can appear on Google Search and Maps results whenever you search for a local business or local service. It includes your business’s contact information, hours, customer reviews, and photos.
Here’s what Guest Plumbing’s Google Business Profile looks like:
To claim your Google Business Profile, type in your business name on Google Business Profile Manager, and follow the prompts.
Complete your profile by:
- Selecting your business category (Plumber, Heating contractor, Gas installation, etc.)
- Set your service area
- Add your contact information (website, phone number, email address)
- Add your business information (working hours, plumbing services, images)
Once you’ve set up your Google Business Profile, your plumbing business will appear on Google Maps and search results when prospective customers search for local plumbers in your service area.
Pro Tip: Claim your free Bing Places for Business listing to appear on Bing search results and Bing Maps.
Claiming your Google Business Profile is an example of a local SEO strategy to help your business attract potential plumbing customers in your service area.
Get listed on online directories
Listing your business name, website, address, and phone number on online directories helps drive traffic to your website and increase your visibility to potential customers.
Here’s how to get started with online directories:
- List your business on all major online directories like Google, Yelp, Bing Places, and Facebook
- Join your local Chamber of Commerce to attract new customers in your service area.
- Search “business directories in your city” or use WhiteSpark or BrightLocal to see what local business directories you should list your plumbing business on.
- Register for lead generation sites like Thumbtack, Angi, or HomeAdvisor.
The importance of NAP for plumber SEO
NAP, which stands for Name, Address, and Phone Number, is an important yet easy to miss concept in local SEO. Since Google has to constantly fight fake and spammy websites, it’s important to show that yours is real by including consistent and accurate information.
To get your NAP right, make sure that your website, business listings, and social media profiles always include the same Name, Address, and Phone Number. This will improve your credibility and your SEO efforts.
You can use your Google profile to share your business’s contact information, hours of operations, and plumbing service offerings, and to collect and respond to customer reviews.
To claim your Bing Places for Business Listing click “New User” on the Bing Places homepage and follow the prompts.
Similar to your Google Business profile, your Bing business listing helps you appear on Bing search results and Bing Maps. You can also use your listing to share important information about your plumbing business, like your phone number, website, and working hours.
What is NAP consistency?
NAP Consistency means that your company name, address, and phone number remain the same across all your business listings, your website, and your social media profiles.
An important ranking factor for local SEO, NAP Consistency shows search engines like Google that the information for your plumbing business is accurate and trustworthy.
Ask happy customers to leave a review
A collection of five-star reviews helps your plumbing business rank higher on Google’s local search results and stand out from other plumbers in your service area.
Just look at these search results for plumbers in New York City:
This is why you need to deliver fantastic work, provide exceptional customer service, and have a process in place for getting those excellent reviews you know you deserve.
Pro Tip: Use Jobber’s NiceJob integration to automate your customer review process and get more great reviews to build your online reputation and improve your SEO ranking.
Optimize your website content
In addition to your Google Business Profile, you’ll also need to make some strategic changes to your website to appear closer to the top of Google’s search results page.
Here are a few ways to optimize your website content for SEO:
1. Perform keyword research
Keywords are the terms or phrases a potential customer would use to search for your services online. They may be the services you offer, or the area you service—like “plumbers in Dallas” or “water heater repair”.
To find the best keywords for your business, try a free online generator tool to perform your own keyword research.
Include these terms or phrases on your website or blogs to rank higher on search results and help customers find your business.
2. Create web pages specific to your service
Create individual web pages specific to each service your plumbing business offers, like leak repair, toilet repair, or drain cleaning. This helps your website appear when someone searches online for that service.
Go Green Plumbing has a services page on their website where visitors can click on the specific service they’re looking for and be brought to a page to learn more.
3. Include the locations you serve
Including your service locations helps Google rank your business when potential customers are using local keywords like “plumbers near me”.
If you only serve one area, simply add your location to content on your home page, service pages, and contact page.
Here’s how Guest Plumbing includes their location to their service pages:
If you serve multiple areas, you may consider adding a service area page to your website and listing all of your locations.
Impetus Plumbing uses an interactive map for customers to easily determine whether they cover their location.
4. Show your expertise with an about page
Your website’s about page is one of the ways you can show Google your expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness. Also known as E-A-T, Google considers these qualities as a factor when determining how high or low your website should rank on their search results page.
Here are a few ways to show your expertise on your about page:
- Share your plumbing certifications and accreditations
- Talk about how long you’ve been a plumber and how your business started
- Add reviews or testimonials from past customers
5. Start your own plumbing blog
Adding a plumbing blog to your website shows potential customers (and search engines) that you’re a trusted industry expert—and it improves your search rankings.
You can write and publish your own blog posts, hire a freelancer or agency, or even try Chat GPT to help your plumbing company with content creation.
To find topic ideas, start by writing and answering a list of the most common questions customers ask, like:
- What should I do when my pipes freeze?
- Why does my water take so long to heat?
- Why does the toilet keep running?
- Is it safe to use chemical drain cleaners?
Don’t forget to share your published content through your social media profiles, or in email campaigns.
Pro Tip: Check out other plumbing blogs to find topic or content ideas to write about in your blog.
6. Optimize titles, descriptions, URL’s, and headers
Improve the following elements on all of your web pages to appear higher on the search results and attract more visitors to your website. Usually, you can find these technical SEO elements in your website builder. If you’re not familiar with them, reach out to your web builder for support.
- Include a title tag and meta description for each of your web pages.
- Use a clean and simple URL structure that makes it easy for search engines to identify what the page is about.
- Add a page header for every page that includes your target keyword
Improve your page speed
Customers expect speed, especially in a plumbing emergency. If your web page loads too slowly, they’ll move on to the next business in the search results. Make sure your website loads quickly to avoid losing business to your competitors.
To check your site speed on mobile and desktop devices, plug your web address into Google PageSpeed Insights.
Ideally, you want your website to load in under three seconds. If your load time is longer than five seconds you may need to work with an SEO expert or web developer to tackle some of the technical factors to improve your site speed.
Invest in professional SEO services
The plumbing industry is extremely competitive, which can make SEO difficult. For better results, you may decide to work with a freelancer or an agency who have the skills and experience to improve your search engine performance.
Here are a few of the top SEO companies for plumbers:
- Blue Corona’s SEO and digital marketing services help increase your plumbing business’s online visibility, drive traffic to your website, and generate more leads.
- Plumbing & HVAC SEO works to improve your online presence, increase your ranking on search results, and attract new leads to your plumbing business,
- Plumbing Webmasters help by optimizing your website, improving your search engine rankings, and boosting your online visibility to attract more customers.
- Thrive’s SEO services for plumbers focus on improving search rankings, increasing traffic to your website, and helping you generate more leads for your plumbing business
Tools to help you track your performance
Tracking your SEO performance can help you make effective changes to improve your online visibility, increase the number of visitors to your site, and ultimately get more plumbing leads.
Google Search Console
Google Search Console (GSC) monitors how search engines see and rank your website.
Use Google Search Console to:
- Learn which keywords get the most views and clicks from potential customers
- Track your web page rankings to see how high on the search results page they will appear
- See what web pages are receiving the most visitors over a set period of time
If you’re working with a freelance SEO specialist or a plumber SEO company, they’ll use GSC to improve your website’s technical SEO. This may include adding your sitemap, monitoring core web vitals, and locating errors on your website that need fixing.
To get started, visit Google Search Console, enter the URL of your website, and follow the prompts.
Google Analytics monitors how potential customers find and use your website.
Use Google Analytics to monitor:
- The number of visitors to your website, how long they spend on your site, and how many web pages they view
- How potential customers are finding your plumbing business (organic search, paid ads, social media, etc.)
An SEO expert or company will also use Google Analytics to find trends in how potential customers are engaging with your website, and where improvements can be made. To get started, click “Start Measuring” on Google Analytics and follow the prompts to set up your account.
Remember, SEO is a long-term marketing strategy, which means it can take a while to see your plumbing business to see results.
Use this guide as a starting point to improve your SEO strategy and watch your business start climbing Google’s search results.
Originally published in April 2022. Last updated on July 11th, 2023.